In the age of technology, pick-up artists have turned to the internet to try and score a date. While this may seem like a modern phenomenon, men have been using the internet to meet women for years. So, how can you make sure that you are successful in your online dating pursuits? Check out these five tips!
1. Use an attractive profile picture.
Your profile picture is the first thing that a potential match will see, so you want to make sure that it is a good one! Use a recent picture that is a close-up of your face. Make sure that you are smiling and that you look friendly. Also, avoid using pictures with other people in them; you want potential matches to know that it is you in the photo.
2. Don’t use pick-up lines.
Pick-up lines are cheesy and they rarely work in real life, so why would you think they would work online? Instead of using a pick-up line, start by complimenting your potential match on something in her profile. For example, if she mentions in her profile that she loves hiking, you could say something like, “I love hiking too! I bet we would have a lot of fun hiking together.”
3. Keep conversation light and easy.
Online dating can be stressful and sometimes it is hard to keep up a conversation. A great way to keep the conversation flowing is to ask your potential match questions about herself. However, avoid asking yes or no questions as these can be difficult to respond to. Also, try to avoid controversial topics such as religion or politics as these can kill a conversation quickly! Stick to lighthearted subjects such as favorite movies, TV shows, or hobbies.
4. Be Yourself
This one may seem like a no-brainer but it is important nonetheless. You want potential matches to like you for who you are so it is important that you be yourself from the very beginning! Do not try to be someone that you are not; it will only backfire in the end. If you are funny, share a funny story about yourself. If you are passionate about something, mention it! Being genuine will go a long way in helping you find someone who likes you for YOU.
5. Take things offline quickly.
The whole point of online dating is eventually meeting up in person so don’t wait too long before suggesting meeting up for coffee or dinner. If things are going well after a few emails or messages, suggest meeting up soon and see how she responds. If she seems open to the idea then go ahead and set something up! Just remember to take things slow; there is no need to rush into anything serious just yet.
15 Online Dating Conversation Starters
1. So, what brought you to online dating?
2. What are you looking for in a relationship?
3. What are your hobbies and interests?
4. What kind of music do you like?
5. What kind of movies do you like?
6. What kind of food do you like?
7. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekend?
8. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekday?
9. What is your favorite place to go on vacation?
10. What is your favorite thing to do for fun?
11. What kind of sports do you like?
12. What is your favorite team?
13. What is your favorite player?
14. What is your favorite thing to eat?
15. What is your favorite thing to drink?
Online dating can be daunting but following these five simple tips can help increase your chances of success! Just remember to be yourself, compliment your potential match on something in her profile, keep the conversation light and easy, ask her questions about herself, and take things offline quickly if things seem to be going well. Good luck!